Happy New Year!! It’s the start of a brand-new year and new beginnings. Do you have any new year resolutions for your share house? We have all heard the statistics about new year resolutions, but the beginning of a new year is a great time to make a fresh start or revamp what you are already doing. Resolutions don’t need to extravagant or big projects but can be simple ideas like switching off the lights or appliances to save money. It’s up to you how big or small you decide to go. Don’t worry if your flatmates don’t want to join in. There are plenty of new year resolutions that you can make for yourself. For example, deciding to start recycling bottles for spare change.
We love making resolutions each year as they give us the opportunity to fine-tune the way we run our house, get better organised and save money so that we have more time and money to do the things we want to do. To get you and your flatmates started, we’ve put together this list of new year resolutions that can make impact on your life.
- Make a housework chore schedule and keep to it.
- Stick to the food kitty budget
- Use less electricity by switching off lights & appliances when not in use.
- Be mindful of other flatmates’ belongings and personal space
- Hold a fun weekly catch-up flatmate dinner
- Decorate your apartment or house to give it a homely feel.
- Declutter and get rid of any unwanted stuff.
- Choose to only live with flatmates that share the same values and lifestyle
- Use a bill sharing app to organise bill payments better.
- Get any broken fixtures (e.g., lights, blinds, locks, handles etc) fixed through your landlord/real estate agent.
Whether you start in January, March or next year, we wish you a Happy New Year and that you have your best year yet.